Associations FAQ

1. What is the Sun Lakes Country Club Homeowners Association and what does it do?
The Sun Lakes Country Club Homeowners Association is a corporation that was established to enhance the maintenance and esthetics of the community and is financially supported by all members of Sun Lakes Country Club Homeowners Association. All owners are members and membership is both automatic and mandatory.
2. Who is the Sun Lakes Country Club Homeowners Association management company, what do they do and how do I reach them?
The management company is FirstService Residential (FSR). FSR is responsible for the day-to-day management of Sun Lakes Country Club Homeowners Association and report directly to the corporation's Board of Directors. FSR executes the decisions made by the Board of Directors. The FSR executive staff is located in the Administration office.  In addition, FSR’s corporate office is located at:
195 N. Euclid Avenue
Upland, CA 91786
Phone: 800-428-5588

3. If I am having a problem with a neighbor or a violation of the Policies and Guidelines. What can I do?
Should you observe a violation of the Association’s rules you may report it by completing a “Violation Report” and forward it to the Property Services Department located in the administrative building.  If the situation is deemed in violation of the Association’s Governing Documents, the issue will be addressed using the Association’s violation enforcement process. 
4. Are Board Meetings open to all residents?
If so, where and when are they held?
Regular session Board meetings are open to all members. Notice of the time and place of any Board meeting is posted in each clubhouse and on the Association’s website under "Board Meetings".   
5. If I want to serve on a committee, how do I find out what committees are active and how I can get involved?

A brief synopsis of all Committees and their functions is available on the Association’s website and from the administrative building receptionist along with the Volunteer Interest Form.
6. What is a "management company" and what do they do?
A management company is contracted by the Board of Directors to provide such services as: collection of assessments, supervision of subcontractors, obtaining bids for subcontracted services, providing financial statements and collection reports, as well as a general clearing house for problem solving, communications with homeowners and the Board of Directors and to serve in an advisor capacity. The management company reports directly to the Board and all decisions are made by a majority vote of the Board of Directors.

7. What is my assessment?
The assessment is the monthly amount due from each homeowner to cover the operating expenses of the common area and provide for reserve funds for replacement of common facilities in future years. Your assessments are due on the first of the month. Statements will be sent for assessments as a courtesy reminder of the amount due.

8. How is the amount of my assessment determined?
Your Board of Directors creates a budget that estimates the anticipated income and expenses for the coming year; and the reserves needed to repair or replace the common property.  The assessment amount assessed is your portion of the annual amount to address these expenses. 
9. Will my assessment go up?
There is no concrete answer to this. The California Civil Code provides for annual increases, but not to exceed 20 percent per year without the vote of the membership. The Board of Directors may approve an increased budget, increasing your assessment up to this percentage in order to cover increased costs of operating and maintaining the common area and sufficient reserve funds.
10. What happens if I don't pay my assessment?
The maintenance and management services incurred by the Association are dependent upon timely receipt of the assessments due from each homeowner. Assessments are due on the first of the month and deemed late if not received by the 15th.  Failure to pay the due assessment can lead to late charges, interest, collection costs and liens against your property.  In addition, the CC&R's allows the Association to initiate foreclosure proceedings for nonpayment of assessments.
11. What are the CC&R'S?
The Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions (CC&R's) are the governing legal documents that set up the guidelines for the operation of the planned community as a nonprofit corporation. CC&R’s, along with the Bylaws, Rules and Regulations and state statutes constitutes the Association’s Governing Documents.  The CC&R's were recorded by the County recorder's office of the County in which the property is located and are included in the title to your property. Failure to abide by the CC&R's may result in a fine, suspension of privileges and/or legal action. 
12. What are the Bylaws?
The Bylaws are the guidelines for the operation of the nonprofit corporation. The Bylaws, along with the CC&R’s, Rules and Regulations and state statutes constitutes the Association’s Governing Documents.  The Bylaws define the duties of the various offices of the Board of Directors, the terms of the Directors, the membership's voting rights, required meetings and notices of meetings, and the principal office of the Association, as well as other specific items that are necessary to run the Association as a business.
13. What is the Board of Directors?
The Sun Lakes Country Club Homeowners Association is a corporation and therefore a governing body is required to oversee its business. The Board of Directors is elected by the homeowners, or as otherwise specified in the Bylaws. The responsibilities and limitations of the powers of the Board of Directors is outlined in the Association's governing documents.
14. Are there any other rules?
Yes, there are also established Rules and Regulations.  Rules and Regulations provided for in the CC&R's and adopted by the Board of Directors. Rules and Regulations, along with the Bylaws, CC&R’s and state statutes constitute the Association’s Governing Documents.  Rules are established to provide direction to the homeowners for common courtesies with regard to parking, vehicles, and pets, etc. In addition, your Association will adopt Architectural Guidelines with procedures for submitting requests to make exterior improvements to your home. Such changes may include patio covers, decks, landscaping, exterior color changes and additions. These rules and guidelines are set up to maintain the aesthetic value and integrity of the community on behalf of all owners, and hopefully protect the market value of your investment as well. Violations of these rules may result in a fine, suspension of privileges and/or legal action. 
In addition, if you proceed with an exterior improvement without written approval of the Board of Directors, or Architectural Committee, as applicable, you will be required to remove or correct the alteration and/or be fined for the violation.